RECENT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Data Scientist, Apple, Cupertino, CA (Nov 2017 – Present)
- I’m a member of the Services Analytics, Forecasting, and Efficiency team. I model global iCloud infrastructure and services demand and help the engineering teams make better decisions with fewer resources.
- Research Assistant, Durham Children’s Data Center (DCDC), Duke University (Jan 2017 – May 2017)
- Analyzed data from Durham County Social Services for DCDC for Dr. Ken Dodge, Dr. Beth Gifford, and Dr. Anna Gassman-Pines.
- Data Scientist (Part-time), TransLoc, Durham (September 2016 - December 2016)
- Refined the multitudes of metrics available to the product team into understandable, actionable information, working exclusively in R. Favorite packages: flexdashboard, DT, highcharter, and the tidyverse (dplyr, readr, tidyr, etc)
- Data Science Intern, TransLoc, Durham (May 2016 - August 2016)
- Developed products and packages that simplify working with and understanding transit data. Also learned/experimented with implementing the “agile” development philosophy but for data science.
- Research Assistant, Duke-UNC BECR Center, Duke University (Jan 2015 – May 2016)
- Investigated food purchasing behavior, food-related health outcomes, and food assistance policy (SNAP/WIC). The aim was to uncover trends that can help BECR design behavioral nudges to improve food choices. Also helped write papers/proposals and providing analytical results (graphics, tables, etc).
- Teaching Assistant, Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University (Spring 2015)
- Co-taught PubPol 590 Applied Big Data Science Energy Data Analytics and Policy with Dr. Matthew Harding. Students learned introductory theory about causal inference (taught by Harding) and how to use Python to analyze large datasets and do basic econometric modeling and machine learning (taught by me). The goal was for students to finish the class with the capacity to do basic consulting for energy companies.
- Ph.D. Public Policy (Economics concentration) – August 2019
Duke University, Sanford School of Public Policy, Durham, NC
- M.A. Economics – February 2013
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- M.S. Applied Statistics – May 2011
California State University at Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
- B.S. Applied & Computational Mathematics – August 2006
University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA
Orange Coast Community College, Costa Mesa, CA
- “Doubled SNAP Dollars and Nudges: An Analysis of Two Pilot Programs Aimed at Increasing the Purchase of Healthy Foods”
- My dissertation is an analysis of two different pilot programs which aimed to increase the purchase of healthy foods, specifically produce. The first pilot program was a financial incentive known as “Double Up Food Bucks”. The program targeted SNAP participants, encouraging them to purchase more fresh produce by effectively doubling purchasing power. The second pilot program was a set of three behavioral nudges designed to increase the purchase of bananas in a convenience store environment.
- R – Expert. 7+ years of experience. Preferred programming language. Expert user of
R markdown enthusiast.
- Stata – 6+ years. Taught 3 courses with Stata. Used for quickly testing regression models.
- Python – Competent. 3+ years. Taught a program evaluation class using Python.
- SQL – Advanced. 3+ years.
- gtfsr – for mapping and validation GTFS data.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Merit Based Fellowship (Economics), Georgetown University (2011 – 2015)
- 2010 STIPDG Outstanding Intern Award, US Department of Transportation (Summer 2010)
- Fletcher Jones Fellowship, University of California at Irvine (Awarded but chose not to pursue Ph.D.) (Fall 2006)
- Dean’s Honor List, University of California at Irvine (Winter 2005 – Spring 2006)
- Early Transfer (Academic Excellence), Orange Coast College to UCI (Winter 2005)
- President’s List for Academic Excellence, Orange Coast College (Fall 2003 – Fall 2004)
- Community College Scholarship Recipient, Hispanic Education Endowment Fund (HEEF) (Fall 2004)
- Dual citizen of Chile and the US
- Native Spanish-speaker.
- Avid Ultimate Frisbee player.